Monday, February 7, 2011

Draft Results: Mirrodin Besieged release day.

The store I go to has drafts on sunday, so we did the release today. However there was something kind of unusual, they were out of scars packs. So we did three MBS drafts. Here's what I wound up going with:



Main Deck  
// 17 Lands
9 Mountain
8 Plains

// 14 Creatures
1 Kuldotha Ringleader
3 Goblin Wardriver
1 Accorder Paladin
3 Blisterstick Shaman (Hilarious against infect btw)
2 Leonin Skyhunter
2 Ogre Resister
1 Koth's Courier
1 Mirran Crusader

// 9 Non-creature spells
2 Burn the Impure
1 Divine Offering
1 Choking Fumes
1 Into the Core
1 Flayer Husk
1 Strandwalker
1 Master's Call
1 Concussive Bolt
// Stuff I side boarded so much that it is almost main deck
1 Gnathosaur (I take out artifact hate and put this in if I don't see them using artifacts, happened surprisingly often)
1 Ogre Resister (See gnathosaur)

I also had considered splashing green, but I wound up grabbing so many things with rr or ww in their mana costs that I decided against it. Here's my green stuff if you want to give me your two cents.


Abandoned Green Splash  
1 Greeen Sun's Zenith
1 Quilled Slagwurm (very late in the pack, mostly a hate draft.)
1 Tangle Mantis
1 Rot Wolf
1 Viridian Emissary
2 Fangren Marauder (Main reason I wanted to splash in the first place, decided they were over the curve that I was setting myself up for.)

Also picked up some other random stuff that I didn't use


Unused  
1 Banishment Decree (decided it was too slow for a temporary removal.)
2 Kuldotha Flamefiend (I wanted to run this, but I didn't have artifacts.)
1 Ardent Recruit
2 Tangle Hulk (Drafted while I was thinking about green, decided against it.)

My first pack's rare was a Decimator web that I passed. I took Kuldotha Flamefiend over it. I kinda regret that, because I had that web used against me and it milled several of my fatties while I wound up not even using the Flamefiend. Second pack had green sun's zenith which made me think of the green splash, I kept picking good red/white stuff over green stuff though. Third pack was just dumb luck, Mirran Crusader. A great card in my colors.

I found myself getting mana screwed alot. I was using 17 lands when most people seem to use 16, but it still happened. I do have alot of things that cost two colors, but I had several games where I sat at two lands for several turns. Or I'd have one plains out and a hand full of things that cost ww.

Because of the aforementioned mana screw I only got a score of 2-2. This surprised me because whenever I went red/white in scars (I started drafting about halfway through scars btw) I would wreck face.

My store should be doing MBS/SOM/SOM from now on, which should really make the format a better environment. There was a lot of competition over even the shittiest artifacts with three MBS packs, adding SOM will help make metalcraft and red sacrifices much easier to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment